Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Tire Flippin'!

So I was never formally coached on how to tire flip, so I just did it by instinct.  Namely, I tire flipped using only my leg, back, and arm strength and it worked well enough but I could tell that it put a lot of strain on the lower back when I bent over to flip it.

This video shows that you can dramatically reduce that strain by transferring the load to your powerful legs.  I never knew about the stutter step and the kick with the knee of the dominant leg!  That's brilliant!

Orlando also shares the secret that if the tire is exceedingly heavy, then you can just incrementally ratchet it up while resting the tire at an angle from your hip crease, stomach, chest, etc. until you can tip it over completely.

He also makes a good point in the beginning that this is NOT a deadlift maneuver where you go straight up.  Rather, you are moving at a 45 degree angle, not up and not forward but diagonally.  Also, that your head isn't going back when you are coming up but forward to maintain that forward drive and momentum.

This free video is only a tidbit but I think it's sufficient and I learned ample technique from it, more than any I've picked up from an actual box, I must say.  I love Crossfit HQ videos.  A wealth of knowledge.


No comments:

Post a Comment