Saturday, January 28, 2012

Crash Course on the Split Jerk

I took the 2nd half of an Olympic Weightlifting Seminar today with Brista Mayfield at Crossfit .380 and it was very informative.  I've never been taught formally the split jerk, so I was just going off my own observations before this seminar.  I'd always just done the regular jerk since I wasn't sure how to do the split jerk.

Now I'm thirsty for all the information about the clean and split jerk since I don't have the movement completely down.  Brista said that I wasn't getting under the bar quickly enough so it was translating into a push press.  Also, Jonathan was telling me that I shouldn't have the bar on my fingertips like in a front squat because I'm preparing to push it up into the jerk (even though that hurt my right wrist).

Here's a crash course YouTube video that I think summarizes really well the foot placement (hardest part) for a split jerk:



Without knowing the proper foot placement and getting it down to second nature you will always feel uneasy and unstable as your base is not solid.  I learned this firsthand as a split jerk felt a lot more foreign to me than a regular jerk position with two feet planted solidly on the ground, especially with the heels dug in.  Jonathan told me that the split jerk is better though since you can get a lot more weight up in the air than with a conventional cnj, which is why I want to master this movement.

Also, remember on the recovery that the front foot takes a half step back and then the back foot takes a stutter step forward to meet it.  Brista said moving the front foot first helps with balance.

Video from the weightlifting technique king himself, Burgener:
Left jerkers (get your mind out of the gutter!), like me, should land at 11 and 5:30.



 See it in action with some heavy loads to put it all together:

No comments:

Post a Comment