Tuesday, January 10, 2012

GOMAD Experiment [Day 9] & Sauna Experience

So I had a bit of a setback last night. When I was leaving King Spa & Sauna, I decided to get on the electronic scale just to see how much I sweated out that night, since a guy in the sauna told me that he lost 7 lbs after spending 4 hrs at King Spa. I was shocked that in just a few hours, I lost more than 4 lbs! This means that I weighed less than I even did when I started GOMAD!

It was past 11 PM at the time so Sprouts and Whole Foods was closed. The only place I could think of was Wally World. So I went and combed their milk selection but everything was both pasteurized and homogenized, even Promised Land brand milk. So I bought the cheapest, Great Value vitamin D whole milk (with a label that stated their farmers pledge not to use growth hormones). I went home and chugged more than 65% of that gallon--I was committed to get my 4 lbs back! (I regretted it later though, I could smell and taste the difference in the quality of the milk and I felt it later on when I tried to go to bed.)

Anyways, it was worth it though. The sauna more than exceeded my expectations. My favorite rooms were the steam room and the fire sudatorium in the back. The air in these rooms were so super-heated that it felt like my nostrils were on FIRE. It made me sneeze repeatedly. At first I had to put a hand towel over my face just to breathe without sneezing. After awhile, my sinuses got used to it and thanked me for it as it cleared those pipes through and through.

The website describes the fire sudatorium as thus: "King Sauna's Fire Sudatorium is the world's largest and grandest sauna. The unique architectural shape intensifies the heat within the room. The sudatorium is made from rocks as described as living. The intense heat causes the body to secrete toxins and body waste so as to deeply purify the body. Aroma therapy is also used within the sudatorium."

I also liked the 'oxygen room.'  It was airy, cool, and had a nice, crisp, clean scent that wasn't artificial.  It's hard to place the scent but it might have been due to the bags of tea hanging from the ceilings or the smell of the clean wood paneling.  All I know is that I felt relaxed and refreshed in that room



My only complaint was that it was pricey. I'm told by the veterans that the place has increased their prices lately.

2 comments:

  1. Personally, the oxygen room is better. It has a nature-like atmosphere that is so serene. :) Well, aside from the fact that Sauna burns away calories, it also soothes one's aches and pains in the muscles/joints. Furthermore, sauna baths can release endorphins, also known as the “happy hormone” (it is called that because they are released by the body during times of excitement, love, pain, and a feeling of well-being), thus easing the body and reducing the pain receptors in the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking regular saunas seems to transform your health. They can help you relax, relieve stress and sleep better

    ReplyDelete