Thursday, January 5, 2012

Paleo Fried "Rice!"

So I'm definitely not a follower of Paleo / Ancestral diet but I've never been a fan of RICE (the only rice I like is wild rice and that's not even legitimately "rice;" it's actually a type of grass, which probably explains why I like it), so I decided to give this cauliflower fried "rice" version a shot!  (Thanks, Nomnompaleo!  I got the idea from her, check out her blog!)

So this was my first time trying this and I don't normally cook, so it might not be that pretty but I must say it turned out well!  Quite tasty, indeed.

Nomnompaleo used a food processor, but I'm ghetto and used a butcher's cleaver haha!  It got the job done anyways.

I also don't ever measure out quantities, so my "recipe" was whatever was available in the fridge and I played it by ear.

Ingredients:

1/2 of a white onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, smashed and diced
1/2 of a ginger root, diced
1 carrot, diced
1/2 tomato, diced
1/4 head of cabbage, diced
1 cauliflower bunch, diced
3 eggs, beaten
1 chicken breast

Condiments:
Lots of black sesame oil (the cooking oil, probably not 'Paleo' but I like the taste)
Two dashes of rice vinegar
A few splashes of aged soy sauce
Freshly grated black pepper to taste
Some dried parsley leaves for garnish
Lots of green scallions and cilantro for garnish

(Lots of bio-available, high-quality, 'whole' protein too from the chicken and eggs, it's 'Paleo' after all.)

Check out the photos of the cooking process:

Starting Material. (My mom cut up the cauliflower into florets last night; I did all the rest today.)

After dicing the cauliflower using a butcher's cleaver (ghetto style).

Some of the other cooking materials.

I'm Taiwanese after all, so I used a shitload of garlic and ginger!


Still cooking...

Just about done!  Just need to add some aged soy sauce and freshly grated black pepper!

Taken with the flash.

In the serving bowl.


5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. I could get behind this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice pictures. they look so professional. excellent food styling there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can make this when you come visit in mid-January!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tina. I give credit to my camera and for food styling...I give credit to the cilantro!

    ReplyDelete