Monday, February 13, 2012

Garage Gym Hero — Ben Smith

Continuing on the theme of athletes whom I admire...
I had to make a post concerning an elite CrossFit athlete.

Now most people would point of Chris Spealler, Mikko Salo, Rich Froning (for males) or Kristin Clever, Annie Thorisdottor, or Camille Le Blanc-Bazinet (for females).  However, I actually like the little known Ben Smith since he looks like your average joe but he's a phenomenal athlete, who doesn't even work out at an affiliate and his trainer seems to just be his buddy from high school.

He does most of his WODs and PRs at his parents' basement and I believe he's only 21 yrs old.  He occasionally does his WODs at a globogym where the bystanders clearly have no idea wtf this guy is doing.

For such a seemingly small fellow, he lifts tremendous weight efficiently.

This is one of my favorite WOD videos because it incorporates tough gymnastics moves (anyone who has done HSPU and toes-to-bars knows how much it takes out of you) but also requires lots of strength to squat snatch 185# that many times, quickly in a WOD for time.




Here, Ben PRs with a 270# snatch and he does it with beautiful form.  Most guys sacrifice form when they aim for PRs but not this guy.

(This is where I want to be...the last time I tried for a PR for the snatch I got 155#; granted it was my first time trying for a PR but I was still rather disappointed.  I'm sure now that I've refined my form I can do better next time though.  I'm sure I can at least hit the 185#.)

No comments:

Post a Comment