Saturday, February 25, 2012

CrossFit Open — First Week, First WOD

This has been an especially trying and humbling experience doing the CrossFit Games Open for the very first time.

Jonathan gave me some very apt advice:  

"You'll go crazy if you worry about your ranking the first 3 weeks. The wods are meant to test every aspect of Crossfit. So in 2 more weeks it's gonna shake out wayyyy differently. I checked like every hour last year for the first week. It was maddening!"

And I took it but that didn't mean OTHERS weren't informing me of my current (and devastating) drop in the local rankings.

I knew on the 2nd night I was ranked 23rd with 113 burpees in 7 minutes, but that soon dropped overnight to 32 (I checked in the morning).  Then later that day, a friend informed me that I had dropped down to 35.  Friday night I found out I was ranked 75.  Then by Saturday morning I had reached all-new low...triple digits.  I'm now ranked 110 tied with about 20 other athletes.

On top of this my right wrist injury still hasn't healed.  I may just take all of next week off to let it recover.

I really wish I had not done deadlifts and back squats before the 12.1 WOD but that's only because I was expecting to be able to do it on Sunday; alas, things don't always go as planned.  Sometimes you have no choice but to accomodate for when the judges at your affiliate are free and that meant I had to go in unplanned this morning after a grueling leg workout the day before (naturally, this meant it was hell for my legs.)  I literally found out after 11 PM after work that I needed to go in the next morning to re-do the WOD...

Yep, FML.

No comments:

Post a Comment