Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Day 11 & 12 (Today) Update

(Reposted from the official fundraising blog, Get Kyle Back on His Feet!)

Day 11 (Yesterday):


Orgo II

I tried to read about phosphorous ylides and Wettig reactions but basically zoned out.  I finished reading Ch. 19 but I just couldn't seem to focus.  I tried to finish the OWL homework online today too but only managed to get through carboxylic acid nomenclature and a tutorial on the Wettig reaction.  Sigh.


"Dr. Bronner's Magic Soapbox"

I also watched this rather quirky but illuminating documentary ("Dr. Bronner's Magic Soapbox") on the late Dr. Emmanuel Bronner, the creator of those Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps.  You know the peppermint soaps with the crazy labels:  "All One! All One! All One!"

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/blogs/back-to-basics-dr-bronners-classic-liquid-soaps

It was quite entertaining.  The man escaped the Nazis from Germany only to be locked into a mental asylum in the U.S. and put there by his own sister!  He escapes to California where he sunbathes in the nude and preaches about "uniting Spaceship Earth" while selling his castille soap.  Brilliant.

http://brokelyn.com/tested-the-crazy-alleged-uses-of-dr-bronners-soap/

Disturbing Jewish Complex

One disturbing fact, was about how Dr. Bronner actually favored his youngest son who appeared to be Aryan since he had blonde hair and blue eyes.  He neglected his older son, Ralph, who took after himself and "looked Jewish" with dark brown hair and thick glasses (Dr. Bronner was legally blind).  Dr. Bronner developed a complex over his Jewish heritage in Germany.  When he tried to play with the neighborhood kids a group of them took a pail of piss and threw it at him and called him a "Jude (Jew)!"  In his labels and in his preaching, clearly the Jewish faith remains a strong part of his identity but in his unbalanced treatment of his children, it's also clear that deep down in his subconscious he bore a self-hatred for his Jewish heritage.

So it's ironic, that Jim (the favored Aryan child) grew up to completely dimiss his father's teaching as insane ramblings and it was Ralph, who has gone on to carry his father's legacy and spread not only the message of the Castille soap but also his father's message of unity and faith.

Dr. Bronner lost both of his parents to concentration camps and his sister thinks that trauma destabilized his psyche.  Dr. Bronner referred to his stint at the Elgin Mental Asylum as a concentration camp where he was forced to "mix cement like a slave" (the mental patients were forced to do labour as it was believed to help aid in their treatment).  He also had undergone shock therapy there.


The Groovy 60s

Apparently, during this time in the 60s, Dr. Bronner was a contemporary of Paul Bragg (the apple cider guy), so the heath movement was strong, especially on the West Coast.  It was said that Dr. Bronner was embraced by the counterculture, which is ironic since Dr. Bronner had this paranoia that the commies were out to get him.  He even called the FBI numerous times claiming that the communists were poisoning the public water supply with sodium fluoride.  (There are only a few American cities that have refused fluoridation of tap water, off the top of my head Ashland and Portland, OR have always refused fluoridation due to its toxic effects.)

One would think that Dr. Bronner would be more concerned about right-wing fascists due to his experience in Nazi Germany, who knows.


More Netflix Streaming

OK so I got carried away with my synopsis of an interesting documentary... It's on Netflix streaming for those interested.  I've been watching a lot of Netflix lately.

I'd recommend "Tucker & Dale vs. Evil;" it's about these rednecks in West Virginia fighting off stupid preppy college kids. "Phase 7" is another quirky, funny horror movie (It's Argentinian).  Oh and I actually liked "Quarantine 2" and unlike the first one,"Quarantine" being a complete rip-off of the original Spanish movie, "[Rec]," "Quarantine 2" is completely different from "[Rec]2" and I think it's even better.


Tucker & Dale vs. Evil was hilarious.  I love horror/comedies.
"They hate my face!" LOL!


___________________

Perspective

Day 12:

Now about my recovery.  Laying in bed all day has given me some lumbar back problems that I hope will go away once I start moving about some more.  At least I don't have to worry about bed sores developing.

My mom gave me some perspective too.  She said back when she broke her collar bone, she was forced to wear a torso cast and in the summer it was so sweltering and humid that it got itchy and she developed boils underneath the cast.  It also didn't heal properly because she was still made to do household chores like sweep the floor etc.

I also found out that my CrossFit coach was in an awful car crash, where his car had to be cut into and then he was medi-flighted out to a hospital.  He had two brain bleeds and was not breathing on his own. Then just today his wife said on Facebook that he has opened his eyes and even breathed for awhile without the machine.  The marvels of modern medicine.

So yes, I'm extremely lucky to have a brain that is functioning (more or less), a heart that beats, and lungs that work on their own.

___________________


Surgical Footage (for the "Nip/Tuck" Fans Out There)

I've gotten to the point where I can now look at images and videos of the surgical operation that I underwent on Friday without getting too squeamish.  Perhaps, it's just morbid curiosity but I'd like to know exactly how I was repaired.

Part of me wants to give up Naturopathic Medicine and become an orthopedic surgeon now...especially since graduate students and professional students can no longer apply for subsidized loans I might as well be learning something that can truly help someone, right?  I don't know.  I was so sure about becoming an ND after India but now I'm not so sure...

This is a cool video showing the surgical repair using a "burrito technique," where the orthopedic surgeon places a graft jacket over the sewn tendon.



This, on the other hand, is just a really bizarre video since it has upbeat Flamenco music playing to a more seemingly gruesome repair of the torn achilles.

No comments:

Post a Comment